- Check for funder obligations. Some funders recommend particular licenses.
- Check for data repository obligations. You may adopt a particular licence.
- Check for the local policy or institutional obligations.
- Consider multiple-licensing if your obligations are non-exclusive. If you are obliged to use a certain licence that is non-exclusive, you can consider providing an additional version of your research under a different licence.
- Check the requirements for the location where you gathered and analyzed your data (Licensing, 2021).
The University of Cambridge has provided few common questions, and answers, on data sharing. All practical tips can be found in their FAQ page on data sharing.